For construction updates, please visit Alaska Navigator (alaskanavigator.org), the Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities’ (DOT&PF) construction website, and search for “Sterling Highway MP 45 to 60.” For traffic delays and closures, visit DOT&PF’s travel alert system (511.alaska.gov). Select “My 511,” and on this page you can create an account, identify frequently used routes, and sign up for text messages or email alerts.
Please share your information with the project team contact listed below. We are keeping a housing options document and are making it available to contractors and field crews.
Alice Rademacher, Public Involvement, HDR
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 907-644-2006
Firewood will be made available periodically throughout the project. DOT&PF will post notices on the website and share the information via email. Sign up for our email list to get updates.
The new alignment begins at Milepost (MP) 46.5 and ends at MP 56. This is not a newly proposed alignment. It is consistent with how the Juneau Creek Alternative has been portrayed to the public since 2004.
Along the existing highway Phase 1A will be under construction and this may temporarily impact traffic flow. Along the proposed highway, Phases 2-4 will be under construction and this is not anticipated to greatly impact travelers on the existing highway.
Yes, a pathway will be constructed along the new alignment. The pathway will have minimal impact on the highway footprint and will incorporate material that was originally planned to be hauled to a waste site.
We cannot change major items that were approved during the environmental phase (Environmental Impact Statement [EIS]/Record of Decision ). For example, we cannot reconsider other alternatives, change the overall alignment, or add or subtract major components. Design work done during the environmental phase was at a conceptual level (15 percent complete) to locate the alignment and major features. This is standard practice for the environmental phase. Now, engineers are using the alignment, major features, and EIS commitments to design the road with enough detail that a contractor can estimate and construct the project phases. Items that can change during the design include:
No. There are no pedestrian and bicycle facilities planned for the "old" (existing) Sterling Highway. It is anticipated that the majority of vehicle traffic would use the new highway alignment, leaving the "old" Sterling Highway considerably less busy. While it would remain narrow (although with wider shoulders) , the risks for pedestrian and bicycle traffic would be reduced because of the reduction in traffic volume.
Reconstructing and widening the existing highway will impact private property. If access to a property is impacted, DOT&PF will provide an alternate means of access via a reconstructed driveway. If a property is no longer able to be accessed, DOT&PF will approach the owner to acquire that property. If you have questions about your specific property, please reach out to the project team for details.
The entire area is rich in recreational resources, and the project parallels the Kenai River closely for varying lengths, crosses U.S. Forest Service trails, and runs near popular campgrounds and fishing holes. Access may be temporarily impacted during construction. The access points to Sportsman’s Landing, Bean Creek Trail, and Art Anderson Slaughter Gulch Trail will be modified. The pullouts near MP 55.6 and 57.2 will be retained. A new trailhead and parking facility, which will accommodate horse trailers and motorhomes, will be constructed for additional access to the Resurrection Pass National Recreation Trail.
The project cost is estimated to exceed $600 million , and as the project continues to move through design, cost estimates will be developed in greater detail. The project is a Federal Aid Highway Project. Under that program, the federal government pays approximately 90 percent of project costs (from funds apportioned to the State of Alaska from the Highway Trust Fund), and the State of Alaska pays the remaining 10 percent.
Download a PDF version of the FAQs here.